Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Yo, Sweetness!

In my quest to try and develop an appreciation for new vegetables, today I made a dish featuring parsnips AND leeks (two brand-new veggies for me). This Parsnip and Carrot Soup was meant to be a lunch-time dish for my friends, but after checking for doneness, it was apparent that the soup was going to take a little longer than I had anticipated. So lunch became dinner.

One of the things I loved about the soup was its simplicity of ingredients.  It's simply veggies, chicken broth, pasta, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. And the taste--totally sweet. Literally.

Given that my sweet tooth is usually my downfall, I love satisfying it with veggies in a warm, comforting, low-fat soup. Knowing as well that all of the veggies that made this dish were fresh, local, and organic made the dish that much sweeter to me. Next time, I think I might consider sauteing the leeks with a minced clove or two of garlic as well.

My husband enjoyed the soup (hooray), but in typical man style, found the vegetarian fair lacking. His suggestion--add diced ham. And for those who need a meat to feel satisfied, I agree with the assessment. A little bit of salty meat would make for a delicious addition and temper the sweetness.

If you haven't tried leeks or parsnips, this is a tasty way to try them.

Parsnip and Carrot Soup

1 medium leek, thinly sliced
4 medium parsnips, peeled and diced
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
4 cups organic chicken broth (reduced sodium)
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 oz small pasta, cooked al dente and drained
1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
1 c fat-free croutons (optional)

1. Cook the leek in a small nonstick skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, over medium heat until golden. Place in the crock pot.

2. Add the parsnips, carrots, broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover; cook on LOW 6-9 hours or on HIGH 2-4 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Add the pasta during the last hour of cooking.

3. Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle each individual serving with parsley and croutons (if desired).

Makes 4, 1 1/2 cup servings

Nutrition Information: Calories 196, Total Fat 1g, Protein 5, Carbs 44g, Fiber 9g, Sodium 800mg.
Weight Watches Points+: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment