Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mediterranean Meatball Ratatouille

Tired of the same old vegetable choices (do you want salad, green beans, peas, or broccoli with that?) that had been a staple for the past few weeks, I decided to branch out a week or so ago and make a dish that I have never had before. And one that I was unsure my family would even like. Ratatouille.

My husband always tells me to cook for myself and try not to worry about whether he, the perennial picky eater, will like something. And so I took his advice and went for it. To rather mixed results.

I have to say, I thoroughly loved this recipe. Not only was it quick to assemble and easy to cook (thank goodness for crock pots), it left me feeling like I had just eaten a hearty, delicious meal--with emphasis on DELICIOUS. The spices in the pork sausage added an almost smoky tang to the vegetables. This will make a great summertime dish when the zucchini and eggplant are in season and fresh from the garden. I would suggest pairing it with a slice of crusty artisan bread.

However, my husband only ate the meatballs (he isn't a fan of eggplant, zucchini, or onions), my mother-in-law only ate the veggies (the spicy Italian pork sausage was too spicy for her), and my daughter pretty much refused to eat any of it (but she's two, and that's par for the course--she does the same thing with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when the mood strikes her).

But my father-in-law, bless him, loved every last bite (or at least was too polite to tell me differently).

Mediterranean Meatball Ratatouille

1 pound reduced-fat mild Italian sausage
1 package (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
1 small eggplant, diced (skin on)
1 zucchini, diced
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp lemon juice

1. Shape sausage into 1" meatballs. Brown meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat. Place half the meatballs in the slow cooker. Add half each of mushrooms, eggplant, and zucchini. Top with onion, garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.

2. Add remaining meatballs, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover; cook on LOW 6-7 hours.

3. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover; cook on LOW 15 minutes. Stir in basil and lemon juice just before serving.

Makes 6 (1 2/3 cup) servings
Nutritional Info: Calories 173, Total Fat 11g, Protein 12g, Carbs 9g, Fiber 3g, Sodium: 676 mg.
Weight Watches Points+ Value: 5

1 comment:

  1. It sounds yummy to me Tonya. I will have to see if I can find Italian sausage here.

    ReplyDelete