Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What's in a name?

By the time my husband walked in the door last night, I'd been at it for hours. Not folding laundry (it was still in the basket, growing cold and wrinkly). Not doing dishes (which I absolutely could and should have been doing for hours). Not sleeping (which is the much treasured pastime of parents of toddlers everywhere).

Nope. I was here, on the couch, trying desperately to come up with a name for this blog. Seriously.

I'd created a short and very odd list of possible names. Mommagami. Bite Reality Back. Done Got Edumacated.

What was I thinking?

No much of value, obviously, becauce the truth of the matter was that they all sucked, and I knew it. I wanted something that came as close to being me as any short sequence of words can be. But trying to define your entire self in words that some other equally unoriginal blogger hasn't used is a nearly-impossible task. I was just about ready to give up, despite the prompting of my friends and fellow bloggers who promised me that I might have something to say that was worth reading.

I wish I could say that it was when I was mucking around in the darkness for a title that inspiration slapped me upside the head. But I can't even take full credit for the title. Okay, I can only take credit for the "red pen" part (2/5ths of the title if we really want to be mathematically accurate). I had something lame like Save the Red Pen on my list when Corey got home from his class, and it was he that found the words that finally worked. I'm not sure he knew it at the time, but OH MY GOSH does that title work. Want proof? First, the obvious reasons:

1). In my TV watching days--which I think are basically behind me with the exception of Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution and The Vampire Diaries (sad, but true)--I used to adore The Young and the Restless (a fact that is even more depressing than my ongoing obsession with the vampire smut genre). Where the Red Pen Bleeds sounds like some ridiculously trampy daytime drama set in a small Midwestern city where the major characters own competing newspapers that constantly write libelous trash. And, some days, my teenage-wrangling, union-thumping, mommy-hairpulling sounds, if not trampy, at least dramatic.

2). It references literature--depressing dog literature. Not exactly my favorite book of all time, but I read it back in junior high, so there's no accounting to taste. But at least it speaks to my love of reading. At the moment, I'd much rather cozy up with a Michael Pollan book about the garbage we ingest on a daily basis (otherwise known as food substitute), a novel of young-adult fiction, or (once again) vamp lit.

3). I'm an English teacher. I like red pens. I make papers (literally) and students (figuratively) bleed.

It's the reference to the work that English teachers do with their mortal instruments that makes the title really work, though (not bleeding papers and students dry...though that sounds like something a vampire English teacher would do). Think about it. We English teachers spend our days, and nights, and weekends marking up student papers. Our comments, our thoughts, our insights are marginalized, crammed into the one-inch MLA-issued margins or squeezed into the spaces between double-spaced lines. The white space of students’ papers is no place to really write, or think, or engage with the real stuff of our lives.

So, I am taking this blog as an invitation to move beyond the margins; to say what it is that I often do not; and write about what it means to be a vampire-loving, organically fanatical, sleep-deprived, bookishly obsessive mother/teacher/wife/me.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! You went and got yourself a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent first post. Really excellent. And I first read Where The Red Fern Grows in my 20's, and it's one of the only books that has ever made me cry -- so, once again, good title. You are now blogrolled. Pull no punches, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And might I add a lesson Bob Welch reinforced in me? (Is that a sentence?)Who cares? I'm avoiding some photo editing and some housework and am being called by two dogs and 1 caged cat. So to my point- Bob Welch was a student of mine the first year I taught. He's gone on to be an editor at the Register Guard in Eugene. Or a major part of their writing staff-some such. Bob has also written a few books-a few about growing up in Corvallis and a few more worthy of best seller lists. When we reconnected about 10 years ago, because we both had a similar memory/description about a person in Corvallis-gathered independently but written about in almost exact terms-he said this to me: "Of course I remember you, you were a new teacher out of OSU or OCE (okay, I didn't take the OSU as an insult...it had been a LONG time since that first year) and what I remember most about you was that you were the first teacher that didn't just correct my writing, you always pointed out the good parts as well. It made me glad to be writing and it told me that I was doing a good job and just needed to hone my craft." (Heaven forbid we were doing major essay writing in Social Studies, but it's true.) I am sure that you do find the positives and point them out as well- but here was a successful writer saying that the positives were what he remembered...and the red ink was just a necessary part of the process.

    Now that I wrote that, I'm thinking, "okay, that sounds like I just rained on her title." NOPE. I love it. I also like the Corey input. I can't tell you how many times Larry has found the word for me or said, "why not....?". He often says, when I ask how to spell something, "I thought you had the degrees?"...I always say, "they are in Anthro, Archaelolgy, History, and Math but not spelling." I'm sure outsiders would think we're the spouses with the mostest in this arena but Larry is so well read and knows me well...just like Corey.

    I did love your blog. And rather than a negative comment, what I wrote is testimony to the fact that you should write. You triggered things in me, made a connection and got me to reflecting.

    Perhaps I should remember to find the positive in people on a consistent basis...rather than just keep it to their writing! Real life stuff.

    Thanks for doing the blog. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, congratulations to getting your blog underway. I look forward to reading many more musings of you. And some occasional recipes too. Because this organic-loving gal needs inspiration ;).

    ReplyDelete